Let the gamer beware, Forsake this game!

Condolences, dear seekers, for Perfect World Entertainment's Forsaken World (formerly "Project EM"/PEM), MMORPG. This site was once filled with hope, but now serves as a warning to gamers with even the slightest glimmer of interest.

Forsaken World has been released in "Open Beta", and brings SHAME to PWE and it's parent Company, PWB (Perfect World Beijing). FW is a Flagship of Corporate Greed, and Poor Craftsmanship..

"Come, mourn with me! Practice well your Dirges, your Nocturnes, and your Vespers! Come grieve with me, Dark Children, and together we shall conduct a Grand Funeral, scored in blood!"

We shall hunt elsewhere for the promises left unfulfilled by this Forsaken World.

Friday, March 5, 2010

02 05 06 20 06 20 06 07 08

Player Housing (Maybe?)

Hey, seekers!

I'm going to go out on a very long, and very risky limb, here. Before I say *anything* else, I want to stress that this is pure conjecture. I'm not talking about "making up ideas out of thin air", as much as "Hmmm...that might make sense". File this post under "Theorycrafting" I have nothing, from anywhere, to either confirm or deny these thoughts. I do not want people running around the forums shouting "AutumnalDusk promised there was going to be player housing!", because I am not. This whole post stems from a comment exchange between Tower Master and me.

"But, AD, there are already *so* many features coming in Forsaken World, aren't you being greedy?"
The answer, quite simply, is "Why yes, yes I am." I am banking on FW to be the "home" to end my ceaseless "mmo drift", and I'd like to have a house to come home to. :P

Let's take a little 'Time Travel" trip back to 1998...I was a young(er) I.T. manager for a private company. Since everything was "running just fine", I did what any other diligent I.T. person did with their free time... I surfed the web for 'cool stuff', and played games.
Many things come and go over time, many things once thought forgotten, then remembered.

Player housing was/is one of those things, thanks to Tower Master.

First, let me show you the video. Once you're done drooling, we can start our theorycrafting proper.

1997 Perfect World Player Housing Video
Looks like a candidate for "Floating Guild Fortress", to me.
(Click here for the Player Housing Video)

Okay, seekers, how was that? Now remember, we're talking 1997/98 tech here. Yes, I realize that some of the stuff in this vid went straight to PWI, but the technology 'back then', is pale compared to the technology "here and now". And it's not like it was "never implemented", either. Research indicates that it was/is implemented (to some degree) on the Malaysian Perfect World servers. Quote:

"14. Will there be player housing?
- Yes there will be personal player housing. You can create your own home in your own space. You will be able to create anything you want."

Of course, anyone from the Malaysian servers, feel free to "chime in", here. (looking at you, Tower Master)

Yes, yes, I know; "Forsaken World isn't PWI". That isn't the point. We're talking about the technology of player housing. Moreso than a lot of other features in mmo's, 'player housing' is really, REALLY 'resource intensive', which many times translates to "needs it's own server". Even Blizzard, creator of the "12 million pound Gorilla" won't touch player housing, but it's become an increasingly common feature in mmo's, in different variations.

However, with Forsaken World, I believe the time and technology might finally be at a point where the concept of player housing, (as depicted in the video) *could* be possible. We know that this was 'in work' a few years ago, and how long has Forsaken World (then called 'Project EM') been in development? Oh, a few years... You do the math.

Just think, *if* Forsaken World *did* "make it happen", even the 12 million pound gorilla would be nervous, and rightfully so.

/theorycrafting.

09 19 20 21 22

3 comments:

Tower Master said...

Wow, AJ was an IT manager already in 1997 - makes me feel young :D

To answer you question, to date, the PW version with player housing (a feature reserved to P2P China PW servers) has never been exported outside of China.

Vahrna said...

That would be...great :D

Tower Master said...

Forsaken World have guild bases - functioning as community and trading centers.
This is not exactly the same as player housing for individuals, but more practical to implement in a large game world.

Followers